Habit’Art : 3C art residency’s program
Open call for applications for artistic residency in La Spanda winery: September / October 2022
Habit’Art: 3C artistic residencies in partnership with La Spanda winery – Espira de l’Agly and Calce (cliquer ici pour version en français)
This art residency is organized by 3C: Calce Culture Contemporaine, a contemporary art association, in partnership with La Spanda winery, located in the towns of Calce and Espira de l’Agly. It is intended for a female visual artist available to develop her research and artistic creation anchored in our rural territory and inspired by the themes of the landscape and the terroir. The candidate must be motivated and demonstrate a sensitivity to transmission and pedagogy, the second part of this residency being a work of artistic mediation. Being able to communicate in French is a plus.
3C: Calce Culture Contemporaine is an association based in Pyrénées-Orientales department, in southern France, close to the Spanish border. Our main mission is to connect contemporary art to people living in the rural areas in which we operate, often excluded from this kind of event. In our quest to bring people together around art, the choice of a common thread seemed essential to us. This subjective approach includes the choice of a theme that can be shared between art and local, rural, agricultural, wine-growing life.
Landscape as a subject is a consequence of this approach, as it speaks to the theme of the land, a word dear to this peasant culture. The terroir is both a geological situation and the consequence of the work of man on nature. Just as much as the landscape, the terroir is a construction, a production and what results from both – a work of art, on the one hand, or an agricultural or wine product on the other – is only an interpretation of this nature from the perspective of the one who built it.
The landscape in art is a fairly vast theme, lending itself to many derivations. Natural landscape, urban landscape, body landscape, subjective landscape… we can use the word as a synonym for any attempt to frame the world, life and experiences under perspective and human gaze. The landscape can, therefore, be related to the idea of image as an artifice which tries to pause the movement of life without ever entirely succeeding.
It is in the south of France, in the heart of the natural region of the Catalan’s Corbières at an altitude of 300 m that La Spanda is located, between sea and mountains. Located about 15 km northwest of Perpignan in the Pyrénées-Orientales department, in the Occitanie region, the winery is attached to the village of Calce, renowned for its wines. It is then in Calce that the artist will be accommodated, within winemaker’s Virginie Maignien place, owner of the estate. It is also in the village that she will carry out the artistic mediation work planned as part of this residency, in a room given over by the municipality.
La Spanda’s cellar is located in the neighboring town, Espira de l’Agly. It is an old cellar full of stories that Virginie is rehabilitating after decades of neglect. The old stones combine with the new facilities, all while respecting the place and its traditions. This is as important for the winegrower as respecting the vines, the rhythms of nature, the seasons and the weather. It is here, in a space suitable for artistic creation and art exhibition, that the resident artist will have her studio and will be able to develop her research.
From September 22nd to October 22nd 2022.
The objective of this art residency is to carry out visual art’s research leading to the creation of an original artwork and to involve the public in it through artistic mediation work:
- The artist agrees to settle and work in the village of Calce and in the cellar of the La Spanda estate in Espira de l’Agly from 22/09 to 22/10/2022.
- The artist produces an artwork on a chosen subject keeping with the general theme of the Habit’Art project. She has 2/3 of her residency’s time for this research and creation work.
- The artwork created by the artist will be presented the following year, in 2023, as part of an exhibition in the village of Calce, and elsewhere during exhibitions and itinerancies. (Exhibitions will be subject to a specific contract between 3C and the artist).
- Even if artwork will not be presented until later, the artist presents a first rendering of her residency experience at the end of the same. This rendering can take the form of sketches, essays, a communication or any other form chosen by the artist.
- Concerning artistic mediation, 1/3 of the artist’s time during the residency must be dedicated to it. The artist conducts exchange aiming activities with the inhabitants during the Public Talks of the project, as well as during practical workshops. She animates other interventions with the municipality where she does her residency.
- In the event that the artist proposes a participatory project of collective creation, this work with the public does not replace the artistic mediation’s work that she is required to carry out. In this case, the artist will still have to plan her mediation interventions – workshops and talks – in addition to the participatory creative work she wishes to carry out.
- The artist also devotes herself, during her time on artistic mediation, to the transmission towards all level’s students, facilitating the exchange, the interaction and the encounter between the whole school community and artistic creation.
- Some of the actions planned for the residency can take place online or remotely when necessary.
The artist undertakes to work from 22/09 to 22/10/2022 in the town of Calce and in the cellar of La Spanda winery in Espira de l’Agly, Pyrénées-Orientales, France.
Accommodation: single room made available by Virginie Maignien, winery’s owner. The artist will have access to the other installations of the house.
Working space: workshop located in the cellar of La Spanda winery, in Espira de l’Agly, made available by the owner.
Residence grant (including the actions mentioned above in the objectives, creation and artistic mediation): €1,800 including tax.
Production costs: €750 including tax.
Restoration costs will be paid to the artist at the start of the residency. They are calculated according to a scale established by the State.
Transport costs will be reimbursed to the artist upon presentation of an invoice. They include a round trip from the artist’s place of residence to the village of Maury and they amount to a maximum of €600. During the residency, the artist must travel by his / her own means.
The residency will be the subject of a contract between the artist and the association 3C: Calce Culture Contemporaine. The exhibition following the residency will be the subject of a second contract.
The artist must be covered by civil liability insurance (certificate to be attached when sending the application file).
The artist must have a driver’s license for travel between the village of Calce and La Spanda winery in the village of Espira de l’Agly.
Candidate’s selection process
The selection of candidates is made after a careful examination of the artistic quality of the artist’s application file.
The selection committee is made up of a member of 3C: Calce Culture Contemporaine, the owner of La Spanda winery and two expert members in contemporary art from one of our collaborations and/or partnerships.
Particular attention will be paid to applications from artists for whom artistic mediation and the inclusion of the public are already part of their research and creation process.
The selection is open to female artists. There is no age restriction.
The artist applying for the residency must provide the following documents:
1. A maximum one-page text on the project they wish to develop during their stay. The project must be related to the requested theme,
2. A file containing pictures of her artworks (10 maximum),
3. A CV indicating her artistic background,
4. A certificate of civil liability insurance mentioning the name of the artist.
Electronic submission: a single PDF file (not exceeding 10 MB) to the following address email@example.com
Deadline for sending files: July 27th, 2022 midnight.
A response will be sent to applicants no later than August 10, 2022.
The file presented is deemed eligible when it is complete, correctly filled in and within the time limits.
NB: Incomplete applications received after the deadline will be considered inadmissible and will not be examined.
Contact-us if needed
Habit’Art: La Spanda is an artistic residency in partnership between:
In collaboration with:
A short presentation of 3C: Calce Culture Contemporaine
We are a non-profit association whose main mission is to connect contemporary art to people living in territories often excluded from this kind of event.
In Pyrénées-Orientales department, in rural areas, even 15 km from Perpignan city, the cultural oﬀer is weak and contemporary art offer is non-existent. Our work, however, focuses on the idea that to bring art closer to people, works and artists must come to their territory. People won’t go to museums, galleries, contemporary art centers in big cities because they don’t dare. It seems to them too distant from their daily life, from their centers of interest. Moreover, to speak of “contemporary art” refers to hermetic, complex notions, an art intended for initiates.
This approach must be constructed from a geographical perspective but also from a subjective perspective. Bringing art closer to people means creating the conditions for them to say to themselves that, ultimately, it is their universe that art questions.
Our association has chosen to work on two axes concerning the insertion of art and the presence of artists in our territory and in the lives of its inhabitants: on the one hand, through contact and participation in the creative work of the artist. That is to say: the artists come on site as part of a residency and they create where people are, with them. On the other hand, this integration is made possible through artistic mediation carried out by the artist with the inhabitants: workshops and internships are an opportunity to do things with people and, for them; it represents the opportunity to understand the art through experience.
Our goal for 2022 is to implement a long-term artistic residency program, in which we can systematically count on an artist in our territory. Several villages wish to integrate this experience, thus creating a network of possibilities for the circulation of artists, as well as multiple opportunities for their creation and for the transmission of their knowledge.
Habit’Art: 3C’s artistic residences in the territory
• establish a territorial artistic and cultural presence and permanent interaction with the inhabitants of rural areas with little or no professional cultural offering.
• develop a diversified and high-quality artistic presence: selection of professional artists living in the territory, in the Region, in France or abroad.
• implement « in situ creations » that can involve the inhabitants of the territory at different levels in carrying out concrete actions, supplemented by actions of mediation, artistic and cultural education: exchange, awareness and participation of the public are part of the residency work.
• irrigate all territories, especially municipalities without a regular artistic presence: the actions of the artist in residence shine on the territory through their inclusion in collective exhibitions as well as through the exhibition of his work in the context of itinerancies.
• strengthen ties with partners and stakeholders in the area, in particular through their inclusion in exhibitions presenting the results of residencies, as well as through the possible joint implementation of certain actions.
• promote openness to contemporary arts through the creation of cross-cultural and cross-border partnerships through which art can integrate the territory in its multiple and diverse character, encouraging public openness to human and cultural diversity.
• create the conditions for educational reinvestment for teachers, in particular through the intervention of the resident artist with high school and college students, as well as through his support and guidance for the artistic and cultural projects of students from their exchanges.